Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Original Landscape Painting, Hawaii Scene by Colleen Sanchez

On The Ala Wai, Waikiki
Original Watercolor on paper
by
Colleen Sanchez
22 x 30

Finished this full sheet watercolor landscape I've been working on off and on for a while. Its one of three neighborhood paintings I'm doing for our condo building lobby. The board members are happy with it, so off to the framers this month. I struggled quite a bit with this painting, attempting things I've never done before, but I never gave up on the work and gladly so. I think the next one will be a little less stressful, but I guess I'll never stop beating myself up a bit as I work through each painting. Just the nature of being an artist I suppose. 

4 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! Makes me wanna move there right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Question....do you work from photos? How do you decide what to leave out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb,
      I used several reference photos that I shot of the area. And yes, I left a lot out to get to this composition. The way the trees created shadows onto the buildings on a very bright late afternoon were what initially attracted me to compose a painting. I also love to see the rowers out many afternoons practicing, so I decided to add one canoe with rowers into the scene as well. I left out a lot, there were more trees, more canoes on the shore and many more buildings in the background but I did not want the distractions. I hope that helps answer your question. Thanks for the interest.

      Delete