Thursday, October 11, 2012

ORIGINAL CONTEMPORARY STILL LIFE DRAWING IN GRAPHITE BY COLLEEN SANCHEZ

GLADS IN GRAPHITE
ORIGINAL CONTEMPORARY STILL LIFE FLORAL DRAWING
GRAPHITE ON PAPER 22 x 14.5
BY
COLLEEN SANCHEZ
AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE

See under - Paintings and Drawing Tab

Finished this complicated graphite drawing a few days ago, but, I needed to let it sit to see if I was really done before posting it. I gave a lot of thought to background, should I put in some shadows or some texture? In the end though, I thought the flowers, buds and stems were better showcased on the plain off-white paper. 

It is so rewarding, slowly seeing the shapes build up into volume to become something recognizable. One thing I also discovered - it is very difficult to photograph graphite, some of the darks in my drawing are really darker than you see here, and some of the lights are really lighter. Even with editing, this is the closest to the real thing I could get. I loved this one so much that I have a plan to do another large glad still life, but it will be a very unusual composition. Who knows I may have a series in the works. You may not see it here for a while - I have some other paintings and drawings in process too.



12 comments:

  1. amazing...i have a pencil set never used i dont know what to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, thanks so much for commenting on my drawing.

      Delete
  2. This is really amazing -- taking your time to slowly build up a detailed drawing, and really "seeing" things. I love the carefully designed shapes of the folds on petals. It gives that very delicate feeling of the veil-thin petals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Arena. I think that is one reason I left the petals till last, to make them light enough to almost float.

      Delete
  3. Drop dead gorgeous!!!!
    It took my breath away when I saw it.
    Not many people have this type of control with values and line so you get The Grand Prize for this amazing piece. I do hope you do another one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, you always have such wonderful comments. I sure appreciate it. I am already planning another large drawing. Have a wonderful weekend. Can't wait to see my painting arrive from you.

      Delete
  4. I shared this with the drawing group and it made everyone ooh and ahhh and wonder what type of pencils you used. Would you tell us... please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, Thanks for the query - I love to share info. I used Derwent Graphic Pencils and a Kimberly 9xxb for a few very dark areas. Let me know if your students try them out.

      Delete
    2. thanks so much and i sure will let you know.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations Colleen - I was thrilled to see you as a finalist in the International Artist magazine. Well deserved for your beautiful work. And to think I know you! Does it rub off!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on my Paintings and Photographs. I love the feedback.