Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Large Portrait Watercolor Painting in Progress by Colleen Sanchez

Full sheet for watercolor painting in progress

I've had this really tiny photo of my husband that I just love and wanted to paint for several years. It took me till now to really think I could try it, even though the photo was shot from an old poor quality film camera. I think now is a good time to attempt it. I've been drawing more often and have a few years of painting experience that will help. I'm up for the challenge and it really will be a fun painting. The giant papaya Juan is holding was grown by him too. It 's the largest one I've seen so far. So, I'm going bold and doing this watercolor painting on a full sheet. I will take my time, I have some ideas that I'll test on small pieces of watercolor paper as I work through the painting. Here is my basic sketch on a full sheet 30 x 22 and I'll try to post updates as I go. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with this painting, Colleen! That papaya is gigantic!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I hope it will work out.

      Delete
  2. It's going to be exciting! I am taking some workshops for portrait this summer, and was just testing my hands on my first portrait right now. It's small and nowhere as challenging as this one thought. Good luck and can't wait to see the progresss of next steps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Arena, I don't know what got into me, I never thought I would want to paint people. I would love to hear the feedback on your portrait workshops. I may just register for a fall class If a good one is offered for fall. Take care for now.

      Delete
  3. My, my, my...feeling brave my dear? All I can say is don't forget to check your plum lines. Just a smidgen off can cause a distortion.
    I do admire your desire and and am looking forward to seeing it develop. You have the skill so it will be wonderful... I know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, Yes, I've done a lot of measuring to make sure the sketch is in proportion. Especially with a large one, the facial features need to work. All I can say is even this simple outline, though it took a while, really does look like my husband. If it still looks like him when I'm finished, I'll be very happy.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment on my Paintings and Photographs. I love the feedback.